As hair removal is an indispensable part of your body care routine, you may use different methods on different body parts like hands, legs, face, or the whole body. There are many effective hair removal options for both women and men. You can opt for laser removal to avoid dealing with this annoying thing on a regular basis. Let Thea show you the most common hair removal options so you can figure out the right one for yourself.
I. Hair removal options for women
1. Tweezing: For this method, you use tweezers to pull out hairs by the root on small areas like your underarms and eyebrows. The effect of tweezing can last for 3 to 8 weeks.
Make sure to clean your tweezers with rubbing alcohol before and after each use to avoid the risk of infection. Although this is a quick and easy fix, if the hair breaks off, it may grow back under your skin, resulting in folliculitis or skin inflammation.
2. Shaving: To ensure safety, you need to prepare a clean, sharp razor or use an electric shaver. Many people believe that shaving will make their hair grow back coarser. Thea’s cosmetic specialist explains that an unshaved hair has a soft tip and once you shave this tip off, it will feel coarser. “Shaving causes hair to grow back coarser” is just a myth.
If you use disposable razors or blades, wet your skin with a facial cleanser or shaving cream to reduce friction and avoid skin irritation. Shave in the direction of hair growth. Make sure to replace your razor often and never use a rusted one.
3. Waxing: There are many types of wax available on the market containing different ingredients. All of these serve to remove unwanted hair on the body. For this option, you only need to apply wax on your skin then cover it with a thin cloth or tissue. Wait until the wax dries then pull the cloth off in the direction of hair growth.
Waxing can be used for any body part, most commonly the face, underarms, legs, and bikini area. The results of waxing can last for about 3 to 6 weeks. The hair has to be from 3 to 5 cm long for the wax to work.
4. Laser/pulsed light: This is the most common option for permanent hair removal. The results can last for 10 to 12 months.
The doctors at Thea will direct powerful beams of light to the skin. The light energy will destroy the hair roots, preventing hairs from growing back. You will need 6 to 12 treatment sessions to see the desired results. After the procedure, you may experience swelling or redness in the treated area. As there is also a chance of scarring, be sure to choose a clinic with a team of experienced doctors and specialists to minimize your risk.
5. Electrolysis: Like laser treatment, this also uses technology to remove hair. A doctor or cosmetic specialist will place a tiny needle inside each hair follicle to destroy it with an electric current. This procedure is usually used for small areas like the upper lip or chin. You will need to receive the treatment every 1 to 2 weeks until the hair is completely gone.
6. OTC creams: This may not be right for you if you have extremely sensitive skin as these hair removing creams usually contain aggressive chemicals. For this option, apply the cream on areas such as the legs, underarms, and bikini area. As these creams don’t work on destroying the hair roots, the results can only last for a few days to one week.
II. Hair removal for men
The belief that hair removal is for women only is no longer true. There are about (Thea provides a specific number) men come to Thea to get their hair removed every year. They can be bodybuilders, swimmers, bikers, dancers, or white collar workers.
Most men don’t want to remove all of their body hair. They just want to make it thinner or neater. Most men who come to Thea want to remove the hair on their back, chest, or chin.
Unlike women, hair removal is not on a man’s priority list but most men do wish to make their hair more manageable.
1. Laser removal or electrolysis. The mechanism of laser treatment and electrolysis used for men is similar to the one used for women. The cosmetic specialist will use electric light beams to destroy the hair roots without killing the hair follicles (where hair grows out of). Technically, there will be another hair growing from the destroyed root but this will take a lot of time.
The results from this treatment can be seen shortly in men with dark skin or hair. The procedure duration is about 30 minutes and it requires about 5 to 7 treatment sessions for the results to last for about 12 months.
Cosmetic specialists say that laser light or electric energy can only make the hair on your back, chest, chin, or private part thinner rather than getting rid of them completely.
2. Shaving. Prepare a wide-blade razor with a handle that fits your hand. This allows you to hold the tool firmly when you shave hair. Specialists recommend against shaving the hair on your private part as any cuts in this area can result in dangerous complications.
3. Wax or hair removing creams: The chemicals in wax or hair removing creams can help you eliminate your hair or make your hair look thinner for 2 to 4 weeks. However, doctors advise against using these methods for your sensitive private area as it can result in swelling or burns.
All in all, hair removal for men and women might sound simple but it does require some research. You can remove your hair using the options Thea has just recommended. If you don’t want to repeat these on a daily or weekly basis, opt for hair removal procedures using technology and the help from specialists. Thea will help you achieve your desired hair removal results.