Pink, glowing lips work wonders for your appearance. Thanks to lipsticks, lip care products, and natural remedies, anyone can get beautifully pink lips. If you’re still struggling to fix hyperpigmented lips, you probably haven’t found what works for you. Here’s a simple trick you can try:
Start with exfoliating and moisturizing your lips, apply a lip balm, then top it off with your favorite lipstick. Stay hydrated and don’t forget sun protection. Stick to these 3 simple remedies to lighten your lips and keep them soft and pink!
Let’s read on with Thea to learn how to get pink lips without professional treatment.
I.Preparing your lips
1. Exfoliating. This is the most important step. Hyperpigmented lips are usually the result of dead skin cell build-ups. Most people do a good job at exfoliating their face, but somehow end up neglecting their lips. Exfoliation helps remove the dark patches caused by dead build-ups, revealing the healthy skin underneath and improving circulation which also gives your lips a nicer color. You may try scrubbing your lips with a mixture of 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Wipe your lips with your fingers a few times and wash off with clean water.
Or, you may use a soft-bristled brush or a loofah to exfoliate your lips. Just wet them a bit and gently massage your lips until all the dead skin cells come off. The last step should be bracing yourself for fresh and invigorated lips!
2. Moisturizing. Get a serum formulated for lightening and softening lips. The ingredients in this type of products usually cause mild irritation, encouraging blood circulation for more vibrant lip color. If you prefer natural remedies, here are some fool-proof recipes you can try: honey - cinnamon; honey - peppermint extract or honey - lemon juice at a 1:1 ratio. Apply the mix to your lips and relax for 5 minutes, then wash off with clean water.
Seal off this preparation step with a lip balm to keep your lips bright and healthy. Avoid lip balms with chemicals that can cause dryness and peeling. It’s best to reach for those with natural ingredients such as shea butter, coconut oil, and bee wax.
II. Adding some pigments
1. Beets. The red pigment in beets give your lips natural color. If you have the time, blend some beets and get the juice to use as a healthy lip mask. Let it air dry for 5 minutes then wipe it off with a wet tissue. Don’t forget to moisturize your lips afterward. If you’re too busy, skip the blending part. Just cut a beet in half and rub it all over your lips for an instant lip brightening therapy.
2. Fresh fruits. Strawberries, raspberries, pomegranates, and other red-colored fruits are all great natural lip stains! It’s super simple - Just rub your favorite fruits on your lips. Then, apply a lip balm over it to make the color last longer. Here’s a fun fact: raspberries and strawberries give a lighter stain than pomegranates.
3. Tinted lip balms. If you’re going for a subtle, natural look, a light pink lip balm will seal the deal. However, lip balms are usually not very pigmented. Apply more layers to get a more vibrant color.
III. Keep your lips healthy
1. Protect your lips from sun exposure. Just like the skin on any other body parts, the skin on your lips is vulnerable to sun damage. Frequent exposure to UV rays is likely to cause your lips to suffer from hyperpigmentation and dark spots. Therefore, don’t forget to apply a lip balm with an SPF of 15 or more before going outdoors.
2. Quit smoking. This is an absolute must if you want soft, pink lips. There’s no way around it. Harmful chemicals in cigarettes darken your lips over time, cause wrinkles, and make them more prone to damage. It’s best to quit smoking as soon as possible for the sake of your lips, as well as your overall well-being.
3. Keep your lips hydrated. Dehydration causes dry, cracked, and dull lips. Fortunately, all these woes can be fixed with a healthy dose of water. Drink water frequently and switch your daily coffee, tea, or booze to plain water whenever possible.
4. Sleep with a humidifier. During the dry or cold months, there’s usually not enough moisture in the air. If your skin is dry and crack or peel off easily, consider sleeping with a humidifier. This machine is designed to add moisture to the air, which protects your skin from dehydration during your sleep.
5. Hydrate your lips with honey and lemon juice. This secret recipe is guaranteed to make your lips look fuller and more youthful. Apply this honey-lemon juice mixture to your lips, leave it on for a few minutes and rinse well. Repeat daily for optimal results.
There, now you have mastered the 3 simple yet effective remedies for pink and youthful lips. If you find this helpful, don’t forget to share it with other girls so we can all be beautiful together!